Inventory Control Module
This module allows you to keep track of product inventory, and mark specific products as Out of Stock,
In Stock, Discontinued, Back Ordered, or any custom label you wish, all from within eManager. You can even include the date you expect the item to be available in the label so your customer will know when to come back for it. You will not need to edit your web pages or Add to Cart links to prevent an out of stock item from being ordered, or to
make a previously out of stock item available again. You can also elect to have the system email you whenever an item is getting low on quantity in your inventory so you can reorder before you run
This module can be used with any Toolkit (full cart) or Toolbag (eOrder form) account. Please contact your sales representative for pricing information and installation.
This module has two main sections. The first section allows you to assign labels such as Out of Stock or Back Ordered to be displayed when an item is added to a customer's cart, and control which products can/can't be ordered online.
It also allows you to control the quantity of products ordered based on current inventory. For example, if you have only 2 of a product in stock, the cart will not allow more than 2 of that item to be ordered. This control applies ONLY to items assigned to a label. A product not assigned to a label will have it's inventory updated when ordered, but Quantity Order Control will not be implemented.
Instructions for setting up and using this portion of the module are covered here under Product Assignment and Ordering Control.
The second main section of the module allows you to track product inventory, automatically updating the database each time a product is ordered. You can elect to be notified by email when quantity becomes low on an item, and even determine at what point that email will be generated. Instructions for setting up and using this portion of the module are covered here under Inventory Control.
Product Assignment and Ordering Control
In eManager, Product Related Activities section, select Inventory Control from the menu and click GO. The Inventory Status Definition screen will be displayed.
- Enter a label as you want it to appear when the item is added to the cart. (ie Back Ordered, Out of Stock).
After you enter the first label, click the Save Changes button. The screen will
reload and a new blank row will appear at the bottom of the table for your next
- If you want ordering to be allowed for products you assign to the label, uncheck the box in the Not Orderable column. If you want ordering to be disallowed for the products you assign to the label, check the box in the Not Orderable column.
- All settings may be changed at any time, and all changes take place immediately
after you click the Save Changes button.
Assign Products to Labels
Once you have created your label, it is time to assign products to it. Before you begin, please understand that you are NOT required to assign any or all products to a label in order for it be ordered online.
However, any product that is Not Assigned to a label will not be order
controlled. This means that the item can be ordered online regardless of your
- Product Assignment Button
This feature is useful if you create more than one Group. Rather than search and assign
products per individual label, this feature allows you to search your products, and assign the labels from a drop down menu that will contain all labels you have currently created.
- To use this feature click the Product Assignment button at the bottom of the Inventory Status Definition screen. A Product Assignment screen will be displayed. Perform your product search.
- From the drop-down menu at the far right of the results screen, select the label you wish to assign
to each product.
- If you do not wish to add a product to the inventory control module at this time, leave the menu setting to NONE.
(Remember that a product assigned to NONE will be orderable online regardless of
- You may now enter your inventory quantity or make adjustments to it if you wish in the Adjust +/- column.
- Click the Assign Selections button at the bottom of the screen to save your selections.
Individual Label Product Assignment
If you prefer to assign your products one label at a time, use this method.
- Select a label and click it's corresponding Assign link in the Product Assignment column. A Search screen will be displayed.
- To assign all products currently in your database to the current label, click
the Assign To Every Product button. To assign selected products to the
label, perform a search for the products you wish to assign. All products matching your search term will be displayed.
Remember that you can perform multiple searches and assign as many products to a
label as you wish. Assignments will not be "overwritten" by subsequent
- To assign all products in your search results to the label, check the Assign All
box in the bottom row of the results table.
- To assign products individually to the current label, check the Assign box for it.
- If you do not wish to assign a product to the label, leave the box unchecked.
- To add/remove inventory quantity for the item, enter a number with a + or - into the Adjust column.
- Click the Assign Selections button at the bottom of the screen to save all changes.
Set Color of Label On Cart
You can set the color of the assigned label as it will appear on the cart.
- In eManager, Setup and Configuration section, select Order System Colors from the menu and click GO. The Order System Colors screen will be displayed.
- Scroll down the screen to the field labeled Inventory Label Color. You may enter a hexadecimal code for a color, or click the Color Chooser link and select a color from the color panel.
- Save your changes at the bottom of the screen.
How it Works Online
The labels you create are completely up to you, but for purposes of this
demonstration we will use the labels In Stock and Back Ordered.
Add to Cart Links
If you have the full eShopping Cart and use Add to Cart links on your site, this is what will happen when an item is selected from your website.
- A label named In Stock has been created and the Not Orderable box left
- The product "Chocolate Cookies" has been assigned to the In Stock Label. An inventory quantity of 2 has been set.
- When the Add to Cart link for "Chocolate Cookies" is added to the cart, the assigned label will be displayed in the cart screen.
- The inventory amount for the product "Chocolate Cookies" is set at 2. The customer enters a number 4 in the QTY box of the cart, intending to order 4 of the product. However, since this product is assigned to a label, Order Quantity Control is activated. Since there are only 2 of the product in inventory, a small box will be displayed informing the customer that they can order only 2 of the item.
- Only 2 of the item will be added to the QTY field of the cart, along with a message showing how many are in stock.
NOTE: If you prefer that the customer be allowed to order an unlimited quantity of an item rather than have the order limited to the number of items you have in inventory, you will need to go into the Inventory Control module, perform a search for the product, and change the assignment to NONE.
- A product not assigned to a label, or assigned to NONE, can be ordered
without control online. However, the inventory will still be tracked. Please see more on this in the Inventory Control section below.
Any product that is assigned to any label that has the Not Orderable box
checked, can not be ordered online. When selected from the website and added to the cart, the assigned label will be displayed beneath the product name, and the QTY field will be blocked. The item cannot be ordered.
To allow the product to be ordered again, change the product assignment accordingly.
The inventory module works the same on the eOrder Form as it does for the Add to Cart links. The difference being that all products are displayed on one form with any assigned labels. Items designated as Not Orderable will have no QTY field.
This portion of the module allows you to setup, track, and control your product inventory. Each time an item is ordered online, it will be automatically deducted from the quantity in your inventory database.
Please note that any orders you accept and process without using your database will not be "seen" by the inventory module, and must be updated manually. For example, if you process a telephone order using your eTerminal, the inventory database will not be sent the information of products ordered. You will need to manually adjust your inventory accordingly. This should be done from the Product Assignment section of the Inventory Control module.
Important Information For Inventory Accuracy
To help ensure that your inventory is accurate, please read this section carefully.
The inventory number you see when you use the "Search Products" or "View Products" features of eManager to view/edit your product records is not live. It's a snapshot. It's part of a page sitting in the cache in your computer. If you have a busy site, the number you see on the product record could have already changed in the database while you are looking at an "old" number. If you then make an adjustment to your inventory quantity, your inventory will be out of sync at that point. For this reason it is very important that you never adjust your inventory from the product record itself. Always use the "Adjust +/-" field from the Inventory Control module. This tells the system to add or subtract the number they enter against whatever the actual, live in-stock quantity is at that second which keeps things in sync.
You may enter your product inventory at the same time that you assign products to labels as described in the Assign Products to Labels section above. Another method is to use the Product Assignment button to search for specific records. That method is outlined below.
- In eManager, Product Related Activities section, select Inventory Control from the menu and click GO. The Inventory Status Definition screen will be displayed.
- Click the Product Assignment button. A General Product Assignment search screen will be displayed.
- Perform a search for products you wish to enter inventory for.
- Your search results screen will be displayed. Enter your inventory quantity in the Adjust +/- column. To indicate a plus amount, enter the number preceded with a + (plus) sign. To indicate a minus amount, enter the number preceded with a - (minus) sign. For example +2 or -2.
- From the drop-down menu at the far right of the results screen, select the label you wish to assign to each product. If you do not wish to have ordering control used on the product, select NONE from the menu.
(Remember that a product assigned to NONE will be orderable online regardless of inventory.)
- Click the Assign Selections button at the bottom of the screen to save your changes.
Low Quantity Notification
If you like, you can have the system automatically notify you when your inventory gets low. All you need to do is set your "low quantity" amount on your product records to indicate when the email will be sent, and switch the feature on.
There are several ways to search/view your product records from eManager. You may use whatever method works for you. For purposes of these instructions, we'll use the simplest method.
- From the bottom section of eManager, View Database Records, leave the default settings at Records 1 to 5 and click the View button. The first five records of your database will be displayed.
- Click the Edit This Record link at the top of the first record.
The full record with all fields will be displayed in an editable format.
- Scroll down to the field labeled Re Order. This field controls when a "low quantity email" will be generated to notify you that you are low on inventory for the item. Enter the low quantity number here. Enter numbers only. Do not enter letters or other characters.
- Save your changes at the bottom of the screen by clicking Save Changes, or Save and Edit Next to continue entering inventory on more product records.
Activate Low Quantity eMail
Now that you have set the low quantity indicators on your product records, you can activate Low Quantity eMail.
- From eManager, Setup and Configuration section, select Order System Setup and click Go.
- On the Order System Setup screen, scroll down to the field labeled INVENTORY EMAIL. Set it to ON to activate the email. When your inventory reaches the number you have indicated on your product records, the email will be automatically generated and sent to the email address you currently have in your Main Account Setup.